Thursday, January 2, 2014

Exercise No. 19 Flag Freeze

I'll  warn you ahead of time. This is incredibly difficult, was the first move I wanted to learn in my fitness endeavors along with hollow backs, and it took me a two year history of avid training to master it. But! I will tell you right now! It is impressive and amazing to learn! It's most certainly something you do not see many people do very often at all, and I'd like to teach you how to do it!
So first off, you need to understand the balance of a one handed handstand as well as the two handed flag freeze variations with close triangular hand placement, and wide hand placement. These need to be accomplished with your legs fully together, and you need to be able to go low, and get your elbow somewhat close to ground.
   If you need to go back to those, I have them in my one handed hand stand tutorial.
   Anyways, first learn to hold a one handed handstand with your foot about eighteen inches from the ground. Not precisely, but get it close, if you hold that for a good five seconds, I'd say your ready for the flag freeze.
   
Flag Freeze:
   To perform this, pull your legs together as a full one handed handstand, or you can have them apart slightly, whichever you most desire, it's more impressive with both together. Once you have your legs up and in the air, start leaning to the side, as far as possible without losing your balance. When you come to a point to where your elbow is slightly bent and your arm leans forward and is underneath you, you can lift your hand from the ground. Your back should have somewhat of an arch as of you will thrust your chest out, and you will be bending your core sideways. If you do not have flexible abdominals or obliques, this will be somewhat of a challenge, but makes it even better to accomplished because a rigid form will make it look far better.
   I personally have an issue with full core flexibility, so my preference is to hold both legs together and my body mostly straight.
   Your center of gravity comes from your dominant standing arm being somewhat bent at the elbow because of the way you are leaning and tricep and all of your shoulder is holding you up. It's some way to support ones body weight, but it's just too dang cool!
   So good luck! I hope the best for you as this is my favorite thing to do in fitness, and have a good time learning it!

-The Fitness Cookie

No comments:

Post a Comment